SelfharmUK is primarily for young people aged 11 to 19 and we want to ensure that it's a safe and appropriate place for them to visit. We've established these site rules to help you understand what is and isn't allowed.
At all times we reserve the right to remove or modify any content posted on the website for any reason whatsoever. In addition, we reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to terminate your access to selfharmUK at any time.
SelfharmUK will not post or allow content that:
1. Is considered likely to encourage or provoke others to self-harm
We believe self-harm can be overcome so we don't want to encourage anyone to begin hurting themselves or get worse as a result of material on the website.
Whilst we want to create an open and honest context for young people to discuss self-harm, and we understand that this may involve candid discussion, we reserve the right to remove material that we decide is unsuitable. This includes images, words, video and any other content.
2. Is considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
Abusive or disruptive behaviour is not allowed on selfharmUK. This includes:
- Harassing, threatening or causing distress or inconvenience to any person or people.
- Flaming: This means posting something that's angry and mean-spirited.
- Trolling: This means saying deliberately provocative things just to stir up trouble.
- Infringing the rights of, restrict or inhibit anyone else's use of selfharmUK
- Using multiple accounts to disrupt the site, annoy users, or to avoid pre-moderation or restriction of your membership.
- Bumping or creating duplicate comments, posting in such a way as to cause technical errors, or any other attempts to disrupt the normal flow of comments.
Users who seriously or repeatedly demonstrate such behaviour may have their access permanently restricted and will not be allowed to return to selfharmUK with a new account. Please note that the selfharmUK reserves the right to edit, move or delete any content or comment, or terminate access, at any time, for any reason.
3. Is racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit or abusive
Content and comments that contain offensive content are not allowed on selfharmUK. Racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable material will be removed and if extreme will result in immediate and permanent restriction of your membership.
4. Contains language likely to offend
Using unnecessary swear words (including abbreviations or alternative spellings) or other language likely to offend is not allowed in content or comments and we reserve the right to remove some or all of the content or comments containing it. In some cases the moderator will edit out the offending material leaving the rest of the comment or content visible on the board. If so the link will be replaced by [Unsuitable language removed by moderator].
5. Breaks the law or condones or encourages unlawful activity
Uploading content or comments with the intention to commit a crime, break the law, or condone or encourage unlawful activity is prohibited.
In addition we may remove content and comments that we consider could endanger other users: for example, offering medical and health advice, or encouraging drug or alcohol abuse.
6. Is seen to impersonate someone else
Users of the site are not permitted to impersonate someone else by, for example, using their name or other personal details to comment or upload content.
7. Includes contact details like phone numbers, postal or email addresses
Including contact or identification details in posts such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses is prohibited. Please do not reveal any personal information about yourself or others as it might inadvertently put you or someone else at risk.
8. Is written in anything other than English
Contributions which are not in English are not allowed. This is because we have to ensure posts can be checked and to ensure that other site members understand the conversation. We may expand the languages used on the site in the future.
9. Contains links to other websites that break these guidelines
If your content or comment includes external links, please make sure they adhere to our site rules. For example you should not link to:
- Unlawful, unsuitable or sexually explicit content
- Websites that require payment to access
- Foreign language content
In addition to this, comments and content containing broken links may be removed. In some cases the moderator will edit out the link/s leaving the rest of the comment or content visible on the board. If so the link will be replaced by [Unsuitable/ broken URL removed by moderator]
10. Is considered to be off-topic for this site
Whilst we encourage a wide and open discussion about lots of subjects, there has to be some connection with the site's main purpose of providing support and a safe place for young people who self-harm. If we decide you are off-topic, we may remove the comment or content.